Saturday, August 6, 2011

First Week in New Job

WOW!  Week 1 is already over for my first job as an assistant principal.  Everyone keeps asking if I'm feeling overwhelmed.  Since I don't know everything I'm supposed to be doing yet, I'm not feeling overwhelmed!  Whether that's good or bad, I'm unsure.

MONDAY:  District Leadership Conference--heard celebrations of 2010-2011 school year, heard the new opportunities 2011-2012 presents, heard new superintendent speak, and had lotsof networking time.  We went to Newks for lunch and ran into the Fiest Kindergarten Team!  The afternoon Amy and I were able to go begin working on the master schedule.

TUESDAY:  Legal Conference--very interesting hearing about the new legislation that impacts schools and receiving specific information about bullying.  The conference ended a little early, so Amy and I went up to school and continued working on the master schedule.

WEDNESDAY:  AP Intensive Training--In the AM we heard a presentation on bullying.  It was very engaging and learned tons!  It has really picked my interest to learn more and I even had to have brown box delivered to the house so I could read more!  The afternoon was spent in break-out sessions.  LONG DAY!

THURSDAY:  Curriculum Updates--This was a weird day for me.  Usually I'm the one giving the presentation!  I really did enjoy learning about the other content areas though and know how tired those presenters were by the end of the day.

FRIDAY:  Finally, at Fiest!  I started the day by sitting in on some of the large group planning sessions.  I know how frustrated large group teachers can get (live with that on a daily basis), so I hope they'll appreciate the support I will have for them and the critical component they play in a school.  They are WAY more than the "relief for the classroom teacher!"  Amy and I continued to fine-tune the master schedule as well.  The day went by super fast!  When I left, it was suggested I bring my pajamas next week--think I'll be extra busy???

What a great week!  Last weekend I was still having some sadness about not being in the curriculum department, but once I got in the groove this week, I never once turned back.  It is going to be an awesome year--can't wait!  Even though I know few teachers are thinking "I can't wait for school to get started!"

No comments: