Today was the big move-in day! I know Ky was excited and yet nervous about everything to come. I thought I was emotionally prepared for the day, but sitting in church was emotional for me. I don't know if it was the music (contemporary Christian which is Ky's favorite) or knowing this was the last time she'd be at Cornerstone with us for a while and C. Stone was such a big part of making Ky who she is today.
We came home and packed the vehicles and ate lunch together. Meatloaf and mac n cheese wasn't what I originally had planned, but it did it's job. Ky hadn't had homemade mac 'n cheese since prior to graduation so I guess it was a good send-off meal!
We left around noon and Ky led the way. The boys followed us in the "burrito" vehicle as our rental car has been nicknamed. When we pulled onto Texas Avenue it was not pretty--there were cars everywhere! OMG I don't know what I expected, but it obviously wasn't that. I was only imagining what it'd be like at the dorm. I called Kev and he answered with "Patience, patience, patience!" He knew why I was calling him!
When we pulled up to Eppright Hall, the 1-hour unloading zone was full so we headed into the parking garage. The boys had to go a bit further in the garage, but we all grabbed one big load and went to check-in. We eventually made it to Ky's room--I could tell she was excited! We dropped the first load and decided to go back to the garage and get one more load before unpacking. The guys took off a bit before us. When we started down the stairwell, we met Genny, Ky's roommate. The girls exchanged hugs and were off their separate ways. After load 2, Ky and I stayed in the room to start putting things away while the guys continued the unloading. Did I mention it was 108 degrees?
Ky's room came together nicely. Way more room than I imagined. She did want her bed lowered a little from the loft so that she could sit in her bed and not hit her head on the ceiling. While Kevin was losing his patience with that task, I ran out to Best Buy to get her a cable for her printer. When I got back the bed was done--nice timing on my part--and we put the finishing touches on the room just as Genny walked in. What a lovely young lady!
We took the girls out for dinner before heading home. It was great to learn more about Genny and I can tell they are going to get along great and I'm sure that has brought much relief to Ky already. When we got back to the dorm, we stopped in the unloading zone and dropped them off! Big hugs were given! Ky got a bit teary-eyed, but the rest of us held it together. I think we all are just too tired to cry!
I am so excited for Ky. High school was not her thing, but A&M is a perfect fit for her. She already knows so many people there. I hope she finds another opportunity to get involved during her Gig 'Em Week of activities. We will miss her tremendously, but with cell phones, she's that close!
I've also discovered that this is one of those times where you say, "Good job, mom and dad!" As we are raising out kids, we always wonder are we doing a good job. Sending Ky off to college, I can resoundly say "YES! We did a good job." She is a beautiful young lady who has a great head on her shoulders. We will always be alongside to guide her when she wants it, but she is already a very independent lady who will go far! So proud of her! WHOOP!
No comments:
Post a Comment