So, the first day of school was Monday. I usually handle that day pretty well; however, for some reason, this year seemed to be different. Was it because I have an 8th grader and a SR and these are BIG years for them? Was it because another chapter in our family was beginning to end? Or was it because I'm really missing being at a campus? I'm unsure what it was, but I knew I could control one of those factors--off to a campus I went on the 2nd day of school! Although I could hardly walk, it was so good to see little ones and to see them "approximating reading" on day 2 of school!
I think this will be a "big year" for me to consider professionally what my next step is. I LOVE curriculum so much, but I am really missing the constant campus atmosphere. Maybe I'm just being a big dreamer, but I would love to be an instructional leader--I'm ready to take all I've learned at Lamar and put it into action. And yet, this past summer and start to the school year have been FANTASTIC!
There are days when I'm so confused, but one thing I'm not confused about is the desire to be more in tune with my family. The entire time I was in grad school, I felt like I was just there for my family "in body" with a few meals here and there, cheering kids on at their events, but not really knowing their years in school. I feel like I know more after 2 days than I knew all of their 7th grade and JR years. That's sad, but I can't go back and change it. It is what it is and I move on.
My wish for our kids is that they have the best year yet. So, we have a bad day, where's the silver-lining? I will definitely be making this my best year yet and trying to model for them how to find that silver-lining. Big years for both of them and should be filled with many memories. I can't wait to be part of that--wait, slow down, Wendy! SAVOR the moment! In a year, it'll be too quiet around the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment