Thursday, July 1, 2010

Iowa: Part 1 Visit

We arrived in Postville on Monday, June 28 at 10:30 PM after leaving Houston at 4::07 AM. Pretty uneventful drive until we saw all the deer at night in Iowa. Good thing Kev was driving then! All Bambis averted!

Tuesday we went up town and visited with Kev's folks and enjoyed a lunch with them. Later that afternoon we went out to Grandma Overland's home and got her mail for her, visiting briefly. That night Grandma came out to the folks' home, along with Doug. We enjoyed a grilled turkey--nummy. I'm thinking that might be a new adventure for Thanksgiving as it sure frees the oven up.

Wednesday Kole and Kevin went fishing with Gene, while Kylie and I enjoyed watching Leah play school. Boy, did I learn a lot about her teacher Ms. Jessica. She has quite the vocabulary for a 4 year old! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! She had all her babies lined up, had a circle time with them reading them books and reviewing flash cards, and then putting children in time-out when they were not following the rules! Sounds like a teacher in the making! That afternoon we went to the river and rented a pontoon. Kylie water skiied and even was able to perfect slalom skiing. Kole enjoyed tubing. I apparently enjoyed getting burnt in only 4 hours. Becky joined us from Des Moines around 6:30. We enjoyed steak, corn on the cob, and raspberry pie. I think Becky was ready for a night of "something" but all of us were too tired from the river that we called it quits early!

This morning Kev, Kole, and Amy went golfing. Becky, Kylie, Leah and I played Chutes and Ladders and put a puzzle together. I managed to sneak in a little "work" part of the morning as well. Tonight Doug and Dawn joined us for dinner which we enjoyed eating outside. The weather has been perfect! Tomorrow we head to Dubuque.

No comments: